Monday, May 2, 2011

Osama's death

‎"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that"
-- Martin Luther King, Jr.  *update-  this apparently is the incorrect quote.  regardless, i still like it.

Last night when I saw the news and the millions of facebook statuses about Bin Laden's death, I immediately felt as if I was unpatriotic because I was unwilling to rejoice at his death.  In all honestly, the facebook statuses and news broadcasts were really getting on my nerves.  I mean, I know that he was a main target of the United States for a decade.  I know that he killed many, many US citizens.  I know that this is a big accomplishment for us.  I know this is why we have our soldiers overseas right now.  I know he probably deserved death for what he did (however, last time I checked, we aren't living in an "eye for an eye" society right?).  But somehow, I just can't bring myself to say things like "YES, I HOPE HE ROTS IN HELL" or "THANK GOD HE IS DEAD."  I believe that people feel patriotic in saying these things, but as Americans is this really how we should portray ourselves?  I don't really know. 

One facebook status said what I was thinking.  That is, to celebrate justice, not death.  Instead of rejoicing in the fact that this human being is no longer alive, rejoice in the fact that he can no longer terrorize.  Rejoice in the fact that our efforts were not in vain.  Rejoice in something aside from death.   

"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main; if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were; any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee." --John Donne

I wish there was more love in the world.  I wish hate didn't exist.  Unfortunately, we would not know love without hate, or life without death.  Hate and death are inevitable; however, I wish we could together learn to rejoice more in life and in love.

<3
END

No comments:

Post a Comment